Wednesday 7 January 2015

New Year Resolutions

According to the statisticbrain web site (yes there is such a thing), the top new year's resolution for 2014 was "lose weight". And, if you've been swimming in Brockwell Lido this week, you've probably guessed that the top resolution for 2015 is the same thing. I can't believe how busy the Lido is!

I was at the Lido yesterday, ready for the doors to open at 8.15am, and there was still someone in the changing room before me. And every lane of the pool was taken by the time I stomped down the steps into the water. These 'new' swimmers are not wimping out with a few lengths either. They're swimming when I get in, and they're still swimming when I get out.

It's good motivation for me though. It makes me think "right, I'm going to swim for longer than you!". Mind you, I looked at my post-swim self in the mirror yesterday and I was a scary shade of orange.

My wife Elaine and I gave up setting new year's resolutions years ago. We set objectives. It's much better having something that you can take all year to do, rather than failing in a few weeks to keep something going for a year. So, obviously, one of this year's objectives for me is to swim the Channel! I have a whole bunch of other really exciting objectives too ...

No comments:

Post a Comment