Saturday 17 January 2015

Dalek

Dalek? I hear you say. Why has he posted a picture of a Dalek? I'll get to that in a moment.

There's only one week to go before we hit the UK Cold Water Swimming Championships. Our team is ready(ish). Both Lynne and Orlaith swam in the sea over the Christmas holidays, Debbie swam a magnificent 10 lengths in Brockwell Lido last Saturday, and I reached a personal best of 10 consecutive days swimming in the Lido (6 degrees this morning, and a walk across the ice to reach the water).

Why the Dalek? We have a team of 4 ready for the relay event (which kicks off at 12.15 if you're interested), but both Orlaith and I have entered the 'heads up' breaststroke event as well (which means swimming breaststroke with our heads out of the water - the old-fashioned way). I'm sure Orlaith will do really well, but I can't see myself making it through the first round, let alone the final.

So, I thought I'd have a go at getting the prize for the most flamboyent and outrageous swim hat. Yes, after discussion and debate with my daughter Kate, I'm going to wear a Dalek on my head. I've given myself 2 weeks to make it - 1 week to build it, and 1 week to paint it. I have 1 week left ... Thanks to a whole bunch of recycled materials found around the house (including a box of balsa wood bits, some ping-pong balls, a paint can, some old magazines, and some weed membrane) I think I'm doing rather well (although I do need to figure out how to fasten it on my head). I'll post another picture once it's painted.

If you're coming along to the event on the 24th, look out for a Dalek cruising along the water. The 'heads-up' breaststroke heats start at 10.50 ...


No comments:

Post a Comment