Thursday 20 August 2015

Bond, James Bond

When you make a credit card purchase over the phone these days, the seller will usually ask you for your 3-digit security code. You know, the faded one on the back of the card.

A few years ago, my 3-digit security code was 007. The novelty of this soon wore off when sellers refused to believe me when I answered 007 to their "what's your security code?" question. So it wasn't long before I changed my credit card for a new one (with a thankfully more normal security code).

These days I tend to avoid the 007 number, and when I drop my kit into the lockers at the Lido I go for the 002 locker. It's at a convenient height, the rubber band that holds the key onto your wrist isn't falling apart, and it's easy to find because it's next to the 007 locker.

The other day though, my regular 002 locker was already in use. In fact, the Lido is so busy at the moment with holiday swimmers that all the lockers were already in use. Trying to swim lengths during the day is no longer practical. There are 'bathers' everywhere. The last time I turned up first thing on a Saturday morning, there was a queue already waiting, armed with picnic baskets, loungers, and all manner of non-length-swimming gear.

So 6.30am during the week is the time I'm likely to swim lengths and get my favourite 002 locker. Joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment