Thursday 16 April 2015

In the zone

Sandsend 40+ years ago
Maybe it's in the genes. Maybe it's in the blood. But, I've always loved swimming in cold water (especially the sea). So here I am, ramping up to swim across the Channel.

40 plus years ago, I was swimming in a sea-water filled pool on the beach at Sandsend. I had one of those (now banned) swimming masks with an in-built snorkel protruding from the top and a ping-pong ball in the end to stop water coming in.

I would literally swim all day. All Mum and Dad could see was a snorkel moving around the pool. Occasionally it would disappear and reappear, and eventually it would surface for food or for the journey home. I can't remember ever getting cold or having wrinkly skin. I just enjoyed the sense of isolation and the sense of being in another world - being in the zone.

Well, I'll be in that zone again tomorrow. No snorkel this time, but I will be swimming for a long time when I do the Marie Curie Cancer Care swimathon. 6.25km starting at 6.30am in Brockwell Lido - 1.25km swimming for Tim Sutton's Brockwell Swimmers team, followed by 5km swimming for myself. If you'd like to sponsor me in Tim's team, there's still time! sponsor my team


No comments:

Post a Comment