Tuesday 4 November 2014

New Goggles

I swam in Crystal Palace pool today for the first time. It's very different from Brockwell Lido. It's warm, clean, and cheaper. And it doesn't really have a shallow end, so there's no easy way to wimp out and have a rest at the end of a length.

Brockwell Lido has its plus points too. The lockers are free, it's always quiet (especially at this time of year), and there's a machine to wring out your swimming costume.

Swimming in warm water was lovely. I could concentrate on technique without worrying about frostbite and the colour of my toes.

I was at Crystal Palace because it's becoming harder and harder to get to the lido. At the moment it's only open from 7.15am to 10.45am, and I seem to have a lot of morning meetings at the moment which kill that slot.

So, I was testing my new goggles at Crystal Palace. Getting a good seal is important to me. I don't mind water in my eyes, but I swim whilst wearing contact lenses, and any leakage will take out a lens. On average I lose a lens a week. Thank goodness I wear daily disposables, and thank goodness I have a huge amount of spares. What I really need though, are goggles that don't leak! So having changed from Speedo to Aqua Sphere, I've changed again to a cheap pair from Decathlon. They work really well. No leaks, and comfortable (for about the first 30 minutes). They're probably a bit tight. Wearing my bahji training partner (check out my earlier blog entry) makes the goggles tighter. I've swapped out the nose piece for a curvier one, and I'll adjust the strap.

I'll let you know how I get on. I'll be trying them in the lido next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment