Thursday 16 October 2014

Training Partner


If I'm honest, swimming lengths in a pool is not very interesting. Especially when there's no-one else in the pool, when there's no-one else to watch, and when there's no super swimming-technique to admire.

The Lido's whiteboard said 15.3 degrees today. It felt colder, and seeing a lady slipping into the pool wearing boots and gloves confirmed that. No, there's no way I'd every wear a pair of booties and gloves (despite my blue toe this morning)!

So what do you do to make lengths interesting? You listen to music, and you have someone keep tabs on your pace and count the number of lengths you've done. Say "hello" to 'Nabaiji 2.0', my little training partner. Nicknamed Bahji by me (think Indian takeaway), my little training partner is brilliant. She (yes, it talks to me with a female voice) gives me an update on distance every time I finish a length, and she plays my favourite .mp3 tracks.

I'm still experimenting with earphone fit though. An early trial left me with an ear-piece stuck inside my ear, an embarrassing phone call to Elm Lodge Surgery, and an awkward encounter with a giggling nurse.

Still, it makes a good conversation starter in the changing room, and it makes me look like a serious swimmer (provided I don't have an ear-piece sticking out of my ear).

If you're interested, you can find Bhaji at Decathlon.

No comments:

Post a Comment