Monday 25 May 2015

Any opportunity

I was in Broadstairs at the weekend, visiting friends. So no chance to join the swimmers in Dover harbour. But, I did get a chance to jump into the sea in Viking Bay, off Broadstairs.

Tides are a strange thing. Low tide was about 10.30am, and high tide was about 4.00pm. My schedule meant wading into the sea just as the tide was turning. I checked with the lifeguard whether or not this was a wise thing to do, and I did have my safety swim float with me. Once he knew that my madness was simply a sign of someone training for a Channel swim, he suggested I waited for a little while before going in, and warned me that it would be choppy.

Boy, it was choppy! It was good practice I suppose, but I spent 30 minutes in 11.7 degrees water going up and down and up and down, and swallowing a lot of salty water. Yes, at the time, I wasn't just the only person swimming in the sea, I was the only person in the sea.

I could hardly stand when I came out. the sandy beach just kept on moving! It was good practice, and good preparation for what I might encounter in a couple of months time though.

Mind you, I'm looking forward to getting back to the calm and stillness of the Lido.

No comments:

Post a Comment